Boot Error 0xc000014c In Windows 10
I recently upgraded my Dell Inspiron 14 to Windows 10 from Windows 7. Earlier it was OK in Windows 10 since yesterday I open up my laptop and before getting to the sign-in page I received a blue screen with the following message:
“Recovery, Your PC/Device needs to be repaired, The Boot Configuration Dara for your PC is missing or contains errors. File: \Boot\BCD, Error code: 0xc000014c.”How can I fix Boot error 0xc000014c?
You can also get Premium Tech Support from us
Causes of Boot error 0xc000014c:
This error has been known to occur as a result of one or more of the following:
1: BCD is missing or corrupt
2: File system integrity compromised
3: System files are damaged
Methods to sort out Boot error 0xc000014c
a. Do one of the following, depending on whether you have installation media (such as a DVD or USB flash drive):
– If you have installation media for Windows, start your computer from the installation media. Insert the DVD or USB flash drive and restart your computer. If you see a message asking you to “Press any key to boot from DVD or USB“, do so. If you don’t see the message, you might need to change the boot order in your computer’s BIOS settings so that it first starts from the DVD or USB. When you see the “Install Windows” page, click “Repair your computer” to start the Windows recovery environment.
– If you don’t have installation media, use the power button to restart your computer three times. This will start the Windows recovery environment.
b. In the Windows recovery environment, on the “Choose an option” screen, click “Troubleshoot“.
c. Click “Advanced options” and then click “Command Prompt“.
Note: Modifying BIOS/ complementary metal oxide semiconductor (CMOS) settings incorrectly can cause serious problems that may prevent your computer from booting properly. Microsoft cannot guarantee that any problems resulting from the configuring of BIOS/CMOS settings can be solved. Modifications of the settings are at your own risk.
You may download Windows 10 ISO files and create a Windows bootable media or DVD.
Refer this link:
Further, you may type the following commands one by one and press Enter after each command.
then type Bootrec /FixBoot
now Bootrec /ScanOs
Finally type Bootrec /RebuidBcd
Later, to run check disk, you may type this command and press Enter.
chkdsk /f /r
Note: While performing chkdsk on the hard drive if any bad sectors are found on the hard drive when chkdsk tries to repair that sector if any data available on that might be lost.
Method 2: Using CMD boot command to fix Boot error 0xc000014c:
- Run cmd.exe as administrator.
- Then type:
- bcdedit /store c:\Boot\BCD
- This will give you a list of options.
- Say for example you want to enable DEP after disabling it.
- You would type the following:
- bcdedit /store c:\Boot\BCD /set nx AlwaysOn
Method 3: Run the chkdsk command to fix Boot error 0xc000014c
Note: This solution will work in all OS above Windows 8.
- Insert the installation disc
- Restart your computer
- Press any key to boot from the disc, at the “Press any key to boot from CD or DVD…” message
- Choose your keyboard layout
- Select your language, time and a keyboard method
- Click Next
- Click Repair your computer
8. At the Choose an option screen, click Troubleshoot
9. At the Troubleshoot screen, click Advanced options
10. At the Advanced options screen, click Command Prompt
11. When Command Prompt launches, type the command and Press Enter
chkdsk C: /f /x /r
Note: If Command Prompt will show errors after running the above command, run it until it shows no errors. You can then type
exit in Command Prompt to exit after the process is complete.
Check if the Boot error 0xc000014c issue is fixed or not. If it is not fixed, you may contact us for direct support.